Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Moment Of Reflection


Or more accurately, scattered moments of reflection.

Have been experiencing these rather frequently this past week, though I'm not too sure why.

Maybe it's the recent decision to leave a certain post, resulting in extra time to think about other things, which also made me realize I need a brain filter, heh.



Anyway, top on the list is the great Jason Mraz, who's due in Singapore in about a fortnight for SingFest, woohoo!
I still remember how a friend named Genevieve introduced me to his music back in 2003, saying his album was like a ray of sunshine. Took me a couple of years to become a die-hard fan, but it's been worth the wait, 'cos once I'm hooked, I'm hooked for life.


The concert organizer has promised to try to arrange a meet-and-greet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.


Here's a really nice photo of Jason, who's changed his image with the release of his 3rd studio LP. Looking good! :)






Another recurrent flashback comes from the same vintage year, when I visited New Zealand in December.

Ah, Queenstown holds so many fond memories, from the majestic Dart River and its high-speed jetboats, to the breath-taking scenery, the perfect weather, excellent cuisine, and yes, that beautiful summer afternoon spent sitting beside Lake Wakatipu, as I dipped my feet in the cool water and took my time munching an apple and penning a
journal entry.


I fully intend to return one day to replicate that exact moment. Just need to figure out when.



Last but not least, I discovered there's a website based on a book I'm currently reading, i.e. Welcome To Your Brain. It's available at the Tanglin Club library, but you have to wait for me to return it. :)

Though the writing isn't as crisp as I'd prefer ( don't read this when you're tired ), it does offer a few amusing anecdotes and enlightening nuggets of information, like the common misconception that women are moodier than men ( studies have proven this to be false ), some fascinating insights on mating ( prairie voles, anyone? ), and a particularly funny bit about octopuses and their penchant for solving puzzles.

While the first half of the 200-plus page tome is a little slow-moving, the second section picks up the pace significantly, dwelling on themes like Your Emotional Brain and Your Brain In Altered States. The chapter on dreams and narcolepsy is pretty cool.


Oh, and by the way, I've finally succumbed to the MySpace culture, setting up an account a couple of months ago, but only because of a certain celebrity. I'm pretty selective about my Friend Requests, so almost all the "Friends" on my list are in the music / film / stage industry. If you know who I like, you'll be able to find my profile very easily.

Will be catching The Dark Knight this weekend. Looking forward to it!

No comments: