Friday, April 24, 2009

Great Videos!

Once again, thanks to L, who's always keeping me up to date. :)

A trailer for GLEE, the new TV series from Ryan Murphy, who also created the dark and often disturbing ( my guilty pleasure :)) Nip/Tuck.
I only hope local cable or Mediacorp will bring it to our shores.

And, clips of Patrick Wilson - yes, the dude from Hard Candy, Little Children and Watchmen - singing Broadway numbers.

Here's one from The Full Monty, performed at the 2001 Tony Awards. A little blurry, but you can definitely pick him out.

And, from the 2004 film adaptation of The Phantom Of The Opera - truth be told, I hated this movie because I just couldn't accept anyone other than Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman playing the leads. But watching this segment 5 years later is more tolerable. Wilson makes a suitably vulnerable Raoul, and he sings beautifully. How could I have missed this? Was probably too horrified by Emmy Rossum's weak vocals.

And, my favourite so far, Wilson singing On The Street Where You Live from My Fair Lady, at a Julie Andrews tribute. This is a piece I can never get enough of, and he does a magnificent job. Listen to that amazing vibrato, and see how Andrews beams!
( Here's the original movie sequence. )

His talent is wasted in movies. Hope he returns to Broadway, or sings in one of his subsequent films.

Before I sign off for the weekend, a new clip from John Lloyd Young: They Can't Take That Away From Me.

Broadway rant over. :)

1 comment:

mumbler said...

the phantom movie was awful - especially when he tried to hit the high notes in music of the night. cringeworthy.

speaking of broadway, victor/victoria's coming to sg in november! and starring laura fygi!!

=)