Saturday, July 28, 2018

Reviews

It's been another months-long hiatus, but it's time to post an entry because I'm inspired. :)

Succession


8 episodes into the 10-episode first season, and it's become one of my favourite new TV shows of the year.
( Actually, I already knew this after episode 1. So glad they've renewed it for a second run! )

I'm always excited about and intrigued by new series, because I love getting invested in the stories and characters. But my tastes are unpredictable and sometimes eccentric.

What appeals to me about Succession is the writing. There're loads of shows about powerful families in turmoil - and I personally detest melodrama when it isn't handled properly. Succession is no less dramatic, but the writers somehow manage to balance the various elements so that I never feel overwhelmed. And even though the characters are deeply flawed - with a few who are downright detestable - they still remain relatable and compelling.

The general premise is simple: the patriarch of a wealthy clan suffers a stroke, setting in motion a power struggle over a multi-billion dollar business empire.

The Roy children comprise four siblings, all of whom are strong-willed and difficult. Two are essentially slackers living off their trust funds, while the others are type A personalities with their own personal demons.

The buildup is so effective that when the Survivor-like episode 6 finally arrived, I was literally chewing my nails off. And despite knowing the outcome would be 50/50, I was shocked and devastated by the result. One of the best TV episodes I've seen in a while.

If you enjoy dark family sagas, there's a wide range of subjects to choose from here: chronic daddy issues, festering rivalries, unspeakable secrets, alcohol and drug addiction, etc.

But there's also a generous amount of humour, albeit the sarcastic, slightly off-colour type. Right up my alley haha.

The review is short because I don't want to reveal any spoilers. But I highly recommend this to anyone who's interested.


Mission: Impossible - Fallout



Just watched this at the cinema 2 days ago, and LOVED it!

I've seen every single MI film ( 22 years and counting ), and while the 6th installment isn't my favourite ( that would be MI4, followed by 3 and 5 ), Fallout is the second most exciting and definitely the most visually stunning in terms of action sequences and cinematography.

( It could also have something to do with the locations - Paris, London and New Zealand - which I've visited and enjoyed immensely. )

Tom Cruise is 55 and still as fit as a 20-year-old. He looks more haggard these days but remains as gorgeous as ever. A decade ago, I went through an anti-Tom Cruise period after reading Andrew Morton's biography, which detailed his Scientology-driven beliefs and weird behaviour. But over the years, my appreciation for his work cancelled out the negative feelings, and I'm back to being a massive fan again.

Spectacular stunts have become a staple in the MI franchise, and I was endlessly entertained by car / motorcycle / foot / helicopter chases and hand-to-hand combat scenes.

One that really made an impression was Tom zooming around the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. It was so magnificent it took my breath away. Paris is so unbelievably beautiful, OMG!

Then there's Henry Cavill, whom I've watched in various shows for about 20 years now. He is HUGE, I kid you not! The fight scene in the men's restroom is INCREDIBLE!

The storyline isn't strong, with many loopholes and conversations which made no sense to me. But on the whole, MI6 is wonderfully executed and should have no problem making hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office.


And to end off ( fighting a URTI at the moment ), 2018 is bleeding me dry thanks to a long list of concerts that I can't bear to miss.
I've already seen The Script, OneRepublic and Celine Dion. Next up are Jason Mraz, Charlie Puth, Kygo and a tribute featuring George Michael's music.

At this rate, there'll be nothing left for 2019.

Till next time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bookmarked!!, I like your website!