Monday, October 21, 2002

I am post-call, and let me tell you, it was a terrible one. :( Non-stop from 8am to midnight, but thankfully everything ground to a halt after that, or I wouldn't be able to sit here typing this today.

Anyway, the 2nd episode of Scrubs is on tonight on Channel 5, so here's my review of last week's show.
General opinion -- it's funny, in a slapstick, Ally McBeal sort of way, but I don't have any respect for it. Basically tracing the lives of 3 fresh interns in a US hospital, the writers make fun of the medical profession ad nauseum, and make doctors look really really bad. Sure, I give them some credit for showcasing the usual stereotypes -- the nasty attending/resident, the smart aleck / flirt / backstabber / blur toad. But everything's done in a very cartoonish fashion, and never really goes below the surface like in Chicago Hope or ER.
Some of you may enjoy this comedy of errors, and there were a few good moments last week when one intern DC shocked a patient who was actually sleeping but mistaken for a collapse because the cardiac monitoring leads were faulty. But in the long run, this sort of humour can only hold our attention for so long before we tire of them.
I'll continue to watch Scrubs, but don't be surprised if I decide to stop following the series after a couple of weeks.

No comments: