Sunday, October 03, 2004

*cue Urgh theme music*

:D

I'm on night shift, BUT it's my official rest-time, so let's hope "someone" realizes this. :)
It's been a rough 6 hours so far, and the patients keep on comin'. I have no idea how I'm going to stay awake during church service later this morning. And I'm serving as pianist some more. :/

How The Mighty Has Fallen

Vioxx, the wonder drug that took the medical community by storm at the turn of the century, has been pulled off the market due to significantly increased risks in heart disease and stroke.

My initial reaction: absolute horror. Mostly because I, like many others in my profession, have prescribed it on many occasions in the wards and clinics ( though very rarely in the ER setting ), and am fully aware that many patients LOVE it. "It's fantastic!" they always tell me. "Nothing else worked before, but this one got rid of all my pain like magic!"

There's been some major scrambling going on a global scale, as doctors frantically contact patients and authorities send word out to the media. Guess Vioxx is joining the ranks of HRT and who knows what else in the wonder-drug-with-possible-long-term-complications category.

If there's one sure thing in medicine, it's that nothing is ever for sure.

LOTR: The Return Of The King

I've been watching the DVD these past couple of nights. Good memories. :) I remember catching it in the cinema the week after returning from New Zealand in late December 2003, how much I missed that beautiful country, how NZ truly epitomizes Middle-earth, how Tolkien's epic tale came to life during the LOTR tours in Queenstown and Wellington, and most of all, what an amazing film this is.
*pauses to wipe some Viggo-induced drool off the floor*

Gilmore Girls

I've neglected to post reviews of the 3rd season, even though it restarted on local TV more than a month ago, after a long hiatus during the Athens Olympics.

The most major plot twist came in the form of Jesse's return. You know, Luke's dark, broody nephew? Anyway, I speak as a huge fan, so don't worry if you can't understand anything I'm writing right now. In any case, following a year of silence after leaving town without informing poor Rory, he came back to get his worn-out car ( don't ask ), and bumped into the poor girl, who obviously hasn't gotten over that traumatic incident.
Their meeting is extremely heart-breaking, but that's not my main point.

My point is: Jesse really reminds me of someone I know. Someone who doesn't read this blog, thank goodness. :) We worked together as house officers, met up on and off thereafter, and still keep in touch after all these years. He doesn't look like Jesse, but has his own dark broody looks and personality. He used to drive the nurses wild, which caused him quite a bit of distress, though I had a fine time using that to push his buttons, haha. It's been a while since we saw each other, but with my exams over and a recent SMS exchange, I may soon get a chance find out if he's changed at all. Wondering if I should mention his passing resemblance to Jesse. He's definitely going to be annoyed, but it'll be just like old times. :P

Break's over. Sigh.

No comments: