Tuesday, November 02, 2004

A New Chapter

After 18 months straight of ER postings, I'm back in the wards, and in a surgical subspecialty, no less.

ENT, to be exact. I had major reservations initially, to be honest. 6 months of General Surgery in 2001-02 was fun, but left me exhausted ( though well-fed, haha ). 3 months of orthopaedics in mid-2002 was action-packed, but I always felt like an intruder, and a lot of the terminology ( I spent my fair share of time in the theatre assisting in loooong spinal ops and the like ) often sailed right over my haze-filled head.

But I still considered those relatively "mainstream" postings. This, however, departed quite a fair bit from that area. Didn't I spend only 3 weeks of my 5 years as a medical student in this department way back when? At least ortho lasted a minimum of 2 months, with an additional short revision posting in final year. Hmm.

Day 2 of the new rotation... and things are looking pretty good. :)

7 MOs, most of whom are surgical trainees ( with one who's passed his Part 2, and another Clinical Associate ). An average of 30 patients at any given period. A 20-strong department comprising all guys ( except myself, imagine that! ). And best of all, extremely nice colleagues at every level.

Yesterday was filled with hospital orientation activities -- the usual sleep-inducing lectures. Today, we eased into part of the usual routine, beginning with a speedy ward / teaching round, followed by changes ( with 5 of us handling bits here and there ), a tea break, a trip to the ER to familiarize ourselves with the equipment, lunch, a clinic visit for a quick rundown of commonly encountered ENT emergencies, more ward work, then home. MO clinics were blocked for our benefit, but this will restart tomorrow, and is always busy, so that'll be a challenge. My first call will take place sometime later this week -- hope it won't be too horrible.

But I guess the greatest relief arises from the fact that I'm officially "the supernumerary MO", which also makes me "the floater", so that I do rounds with the whole group in the morning, then am essentially left to my own devices, being rostered in clinic but also free to hang out elsewhere at my own discretion. AND NO OT TIME!!! Sorry, nothing personal, but I just CAN'T stand in one spot for hours on end, fixed in some uncomfortable position, in a freezing environment, unable to go to the toilet when I desperately need to. Unless I'm on holiday, enjoying a nice winter view. :)

Also, we were informed the department has alternate weekends off. FULL WEEKENDS, including Saturdays ( unless you're the on-call team ). I can't believe it! My first entire weekend free in 18 months! Okay, don't regret choosing A&E, don't regret choosing A&E, don't regret choosing A&E... :D

Another unexpected turn of events: a highly possible first Christmas spent overseas. I initially projected leave for end-January, but a rotation to the Eye Centre during that month prompted my A&E HOD to request that I bring it forward by 30 days. No problemo. I'd be more than happy to get out of this country during the festive season -- I never venture out anyway; mobs grate on my nerves. Especially Singaporean mobs.

Choice of destination? Limited, since I fare badly in cold climates ( HMDP anxiety, aargh ). NZ is out 'cos I went there in 2003, and not many other places can rival its beauty and offer warm temperatures at this time. Was considering the Maldives, but everything's water-related over there -- not an issue for me, but my parents aren't swimming enthusiasts, so I'm obliged to entertain their tastes to some degree.

Right now, Tasmania is a very very strong contender. Missed out on it in 2001 when I visited Melbourne -- holiday was unexpectedly cut short by my then-HOD, who almost drove me out of my mind with his last-minute demands. So now, I just hope I can get a flight yeesh. Hobart Festivals, the Royal Botanical Gardens, Mt. Wellington, the Tasman National Park... my mouth's watering something fierce! :)


In Other News

The US Presidential Elections has begun. My bet is on Kerry-Edwards. Wasn't wrong with Clinton-Gore in 1992. Let's see if I'm right again this time.

Some guy just won a $90,000 Subaru vehicle from Mediacorp, after standing in the sun and rain for 75 hours straight. Without sleep. And only three 5-minute breaks per 24 hours. Eh, someone please offer him some big bucks to join the medical profession. Where he belongs, haha. :P


Replies

freshman: I haven't forgotten your earlier question about plastics. Now that I'm better placed with regards to access to surgeons, I'll try to get round to answering your queries.

ann & huh: The giddy-schoolgirl bit comes out only on the blog. Kinda like an alter-ego thing. In person, people tell me I'm "quiet", "reserved", even "mousey". And even more so now that I'm surrounded by a big bunch of high-powered surgeons and surgeons-to-be. My writing's always been thus. Just that not many people knew about this site till the SARS epidemic raised its profile somewhat. It's my outlet. Always has been, always will be. :)

urgh: heh heh :)

No comments: