Saturday, January 01, 2005

A Close Call

So my parents are probably going to dangle this over my head for the rest of my life, but for once, I'm happy about it.

News of the tsunami was beamed on Tasmanian TV on Boxing Day, and the first thing that hit me was: we originally intended to spend the holidays at the Maldives, but my mum and dad vetoed the idea at the last minute, 'cos they're not fans of beach resorts / snorkeling / sunbathing, etc, and we ended up going to Australia instead.

I'm still in a state of near-shock -- yes, even now -- and even though Tasmania didn't feel anything significant in terms of tremors or aftershocks, the ocean was turbulent, and the annual Sydney-to-Hobart yacht race saw many experienced sailors bowing out of the competition due to bad weather. Temperatures in Hobart hit half of its usual average, causing our teeth to chatter even in the midst of summer. Not fun.

The day the earthquake hit, I was at Salamanca Place visiting its famous weekend market. Located next to a wharf and adjacent to an area of open sea ( ie Sullivan's Cove ), I can still remember standing right next to the coast, a few metres from lapping waves, snapping away with my camera, just hours before Asia was turned upside down. If the quake had occurred any closer, I most definitely wouldn't have survived.

Contrary to my earlier declaration to party on New Year's Eve, I spent it curled up in bed, praying for those who perished, for those who lived through the tragedy, and for those who've lost loved ones. Today, as I attended a friend's daughter's church wedding, conversation at the lunch reception revolved around only one single topic: the Asian tsunami. People asked me what drowning is like, what smell corpses bloated with fluid and decomposition emanate, whether I know any of the medical volunteers being sent to Sri Lanka and Aceh. It was a grim reminder of so many of life's lessons: how human existence is a truly fragile entity, how merciless Mother Nature can be, how one must never take anything for granted.

My church vicar has already conducted funeral services for two Singaporeans who died in Thailand. And there are others who either directly or indirectly know a number of the missing. A few members related tales similar to mine -- life-saving choices such as deciding not to spend Christmas in Phuket or neighbouring areas... tourist hotspots now decimated in the blink of an eye... muddy graves suffocating thousands.

Two of my friends recently went diving in Malaysia over the X'mas weekend. I wasn't sure where exactly, but a frantic check with one of their blogs revealed the location of an island off Sabah which -- if Google searches can be trusted -- isn't affected by the tsunami. Unable to reach either person via phone, I'm still anxious about their safety. I hope to hear from them by tomorrow. Call me already!!!

I apologize for the rather sombre nature of my opening entry for 2005. Perhaps, when the disaster situation has stabilized, I'll write a little about my trip to Tasmania. I've read recent comments requesting that I continue posting here, and fret not, I'll certainly take them to heart. :) Also, I'm wondering what the HECK happened on 28th December -- according to the site meter, almost 500 people visited my blog that day. WHY???

In any case, the year has so far gotten off to an, err, interesting start. Came face to face with James Lye and Diana Ser at the church wedding this morning -- they look even better in person, wow. Watch for some exciting developments at The Lingual Nerve, thanks to Victor ( a member of the original Magnificent Seven, heh heh ) who's set up the Guest Writer feature, thus enabling us to collect entries from our more illustrious medical counterparts. Then of course, there's the charity project.

But best of all, a childhood friend of mine has agreed to start going to church, after straying ( as I once did ) for more than a decade. Quite a miracle, even by my standards. :)

God speed, dear readers.

No comments: