Wednesday, August 01, 2012

August!

Man, my blog entry frequency this year is dismal. Here's one for August, in case I don't post again till September.


The last time I mentioned this AWESOME series was in May, and thankfully, I have been keeping up with season 2 via Internet.

Like The Good Wife and Dexter - 2 excellent shows which have not lost their momentum - Suits' follow-up season is delightful. I love programmes that are smart, challenging and funny. Suits has all 3 in spades!

Another quality I really appreciate: shifting the focus away from the usual high-profile criminal cases. Most legal dramas like to drum up the adrenaline factor by featuring serial killers or bizarre murders. The Practice excelled at this, but after a while, the tricks get old.

Which is why I find Suits so refreshing. It discusses a wide range of subjects - will disputes, copyright infringement, class action, wrongful death, sexual harrassment - but somehow makes every single episode utterly fascinating.

The legal jargon is mind-blowing, but actually comprehensible as long as you're fully awake. I always make it a point to avoid watching it when I'm post-call or exhausted for some other reason. Maximum enjoyment is key!

Another element I can't get enough of - the complex dynamics between the characters. Granted, Harvey Specter and Mike Ross are at the forefront, but Louis Litt ( played to perfection by Rick Hoffman ) is gaining a lot of ground in terms of show-stealing!

There's a terrific episode in season 2 ( #4 or #5, I believe ), where Litt gets the defendant in a civil suit to turn on his own company during a tense deposition. It is one of the most ingenious scenes I have ever witnessed on television. Where straightforward legal tactics failed, he found a way to win the case by hitting where it really hurts - the bruised ego. I wish the clip was on YouTube, but it isn't. Trust me, it is UNBELIEVABLE.

The humour has picked up as well, coming at you fast and furious in season 2. I always find myself laughing heartily at the zingy one-liners, mostly from Harvey. They're a mixture of unrestrained narcissism and astute observations of the human condition. Love it! :D

Being overlooked at the Emmys is a massive injustice, but as a fellow fan assured me on Twitter - "NEXT YEAR!"

I hope so too. :)


Looking forward to The Bourne Legacy, starring Jeremy Renner, whom I have become rather obsessed with since his prominent role in last December's immensely entertaining Mission: Impossible 4.

His previous films weren't exactly action blockbusters - okay, he shot a gun and played the bad guy in SWAT - but he has really hit his stride since turning 40, wow!

He looks positively gorgeous, shows off a graceful athleticism ( Bourne Legacy director Tony Gilroy calls him a "machine" ), and handles weapons with style ( handgun, sniper rifle, bow and arrow ).

If you thought MI4 and The Avengers were tough, check out the trailers and clips for Bourne Legacy. I'm surprised he can still walk after all that leaping and tumbling and major whacking. I'm already starting to experience pain in both knees, and I'm only 37!


Another plus now that Renner's in the limelight - interviews.
There're tonnes of clips on YouTube, but this past week, I got my hands on episodes from The Tonight Show With Jay Leno and Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Both discuss his involvement with Bourne Legacy, but the interviews couldn't be more different. I've noticed that Renner makes it a point to vary his conversations, no matter how many he has to go through. I honestly don't know how he keeps track of them all, but it's a huge treat for us fans, and I especially enjoy his wicked sense of humour, lol!

Also, he dresses EXTREMELY well for events. Not just TV appearances, but press conferences, conventions, etc. Either a sweater / shirt combo, or a suit and tie, sometimes with a vest included. I just love guys who dress up. :)

Oh yes, the photos. The first is from Empire magazine's subscriber copy cover, and the second is from the 2009 TV series, The Unusuals, which was unfortunately cancelled after 10 episodes.

The latter, however, has attained a cult-like status on the Net, thanks to a faithful following and word-of-mouth. The YouTube clips are also side-splittingly funny.

Ordered my copy from Amazon recently. Can't wait to watch it!


A few TV shows I'm watching out for...

Dexter season 7 - this is my #1 favourite series at the moment, and is unlikely to be toppled anytime soon, despite a slightly disappointing 6th season.
Michael C. Hall is flawless as Dexter Morgan, and no-one except him can play this dark and twisted character so beautifully.

Premieres in the U.S. September 30. I prefer uncensored versions, so it's back to the Internet for me. :)


Another series I'm highly anticipating - The Following, in which Kevin Bacon plays an FBI agent hunting down a network of serial killers. Wow, I just got goosebumps. :)


Last but not least, Elementary - a modern retelling of the Sherlock Holmes story, now transplanted to New York, with Dr. Watson played by none other than Lucy Liu. Eli Stone's Jonny Lee Miller should make an enigmatic Sherlock, following his memorable, evil turn on Dexter season 5.

So many other Hollywood stars are also turning to television these days - from Glenn Close ( Damages ), Angelica Huston ( Smash ), Sigourney Weaver ( Political Animals ) and Dustin Hoffman ( Luck ), to Ashley Judd ( Missing ), Patrick Wilson ( A Gifted Man ) and Rose Byrne ( Damages ).

A check regarding American Horror Story season 2 ( the show is completely insane but I just adore it :)) mentions James Cromwell, Joseph Fiennes and ( surprise! ) Adam Levine among the new cast.
Jessica Lange will return, creepier and zanier than ever, I'm sure.
My fave is Evan Peters - a young actor who holds his own and mesmerizes with his fiery performances.
Debuts October 2012.

The small screen has never looked more spectacular!

No comments: