Monday, December 17, 2018

Looking Back on 2018

It's that time again.

This is my first "year in review" blog entry after moving to not just a new workplace, but a completely different sector of healthcare.

I'm happy to report that I've settled in very well, have been given many opportunities to contribute and collaborate, and successfully guided my department through a few major changes.
For the first time ever in my career, I'm being treated like an adult, working with mature and caring superiors.
I've also been offered additional roles for which my strong clinical background is a great advantage.
My advance here in 8 months has far outpaced that at the former hospital, which I loyally served for 13 years.

I guess many friends and colleagues took notice, judging from the inquiries I've received about job prospects.
I consider it a compliment when people want to come work with me, so thank you. :)


Aside from work, 2018 was a banner year in terms of musical entertainment.
I don't recall attending so many amazing shows within a 12-month period.
This year, I saw Celine Dion, The Script, OneRepublic, Jason Mraz, Charlie Puth and Kygo.
1R and Jason were a special treat because they're my favourite band and favourite singer, respectively. I never thought I'd be able to see them both in the same year. Woohoo!
I also met 1R backstage, which was such a thrill for a longtime fan. Ryan Tedder is a genius songwriter, and the guys were very sweet. I'll treasure the memory forever. :)

Two short overseas trips focused on Asia - i.e. Hanoi and Bangkok - during which I soaked in the cities' history and culture, and stuffed myself with food, haha.


Favourite movie of 2018 - Mission: Impossible - Fallout
MI4's still my favourite from the franchise, but MI6 is currently the most mind-blowing.


Favourite TV series - Narcos season 4
Others worthy of mention - Godless, American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace, The Haunting of Hill House.


Favourite book - The Travelling Cat Chronicles
Major use of tissues.


This is a brief entry but more detailed ones may follow if I have time.
There's so much to discuss in Narcos and The Travelling Cat Chronicles. They deserve one long entry each.


Upcoming in 2019:

More career developments.

More awesome musical entertainment - Maroon 5, Jason Mraz (again!), Phantom of the Opera, Josh Groban and John Mayer ( assuming I can get tickets to the last one, haha ).

A return to Europe! Very excited about that. :)


Hope your year was a good one too. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I mentioned the last time I popped in here, I miss working with you but am truly happy for the fact that you are in a great working environment with people who are supportive and nurturing. That said, I am also going to miss another colleague who will be joining you soon but I am very grateful that she is going to be where she is finally going to be recognised for her knowledge, her work ethic, her skills - she deserves that instead of slamming her head hard against the false glass ceiling they have erected.