Thursday, June 24, 2010

Bliss Part 21

A quote from Darkly Dreaming Dexter:

"Anyone can be charming if they don't mind faking it, saying all the stupid, obvious, nauseating things that a conscience keeps most people from saying. Happily, I don't have a conscience. I say them."

A startling but not entirely unexpected discovery: despite featuring the same killer as the TV adaptation, the book's storyline is, in fact, markedly different.

For example, the portrayal of detective Maria LaGuerta on paper is unkind to the point of being a little vicious, whereas the screen version is the exact opposite.

And the Ice Truck Killer doesn't make his grand entrance until the last few chapters, unlike the TV character played by Christian Camargo, who enjoys lots of screen time wooing Dexter's foster sister before abducting her then confronting Dexter in a climactic showdown.

I'm sure there're fans out there who may not appreciate this discrepancy. I, for one, embrace it wholeheartedly. :)

Once again, author Jeff Lindsay's macabre sense of humour is infectious. I highly recommend those who are inclined to read every single Dexter novel and watch all 4 seasons of the TV series.


Another recommendation: Jeepers Creepers 2.

I saw this quite a few years ago, but it remains a huge favourite of mine.
Doesn't boast any big movie stars or eye-popping special effects, but thrives on great acting and well-paced direction, coupled with moments of sheer terror thanks to expert psychological manipulation.

A good litmus test: if the opening scene fails to affect you in any way, don't bother watching the rest of it.


I also recommend Paranormal Activity.

This one's creepy. So creepy I don't want to watch it ever again. The first half hour's pretty unremarkable, but things turn around quickly after that, and there's one scene in particular that made my hair stand on end big-time.

DO NOT see this movie alone. And definitely NOT before a night shift! :)


Last but not least, an interesting new comedy, Accidentally On Purpose.

I'm a fan of Jenna Elfman, and couldn't be happier to see her back in fine form as a youngish cougar.

Priceless post-coital quote: "I feel like I tasted the rainbow." LOL!

So many shows, so little time...

No comments: