Monday, April 07, 2003

Things have taken a turn for the worse. Healthcare workers are getting hit with SARS -- the latest being a staff nurse/midwife from Kandang Kerbau Hospital ( she came into contact with 503 patients during the course of her illness, but so far everyone's ok ), plus 21 medical personnel in Singapore General Hospital ( 20 nurses and 1 doctor ). The latter group is a little more unpredictable and scary, 'cos they hail from a surgical ward, and no-one has any idea who the original case is. At the moment, I hear that the affected people are "suspect cases", not probable or confirmed as yet. Still, the hospital has shut down the surgical wards, and heavy screening of visitors is going on.

Earlier during lunch, my friends and I witnessed a long line of visitors being equipped with masks by hospital staff down in the lobby. And in the wards, all healthcare workers have to take their temperatures twice a day. The fear is palpable, and although my team hasn't resorted to doing rounds with masks yet, we definitely wear them when seeing new cases. I'm on call tomorrow, and covering the intensive care unit. This is one of the scarier places to be right now, especially when patients with non-specific pneumonias +/- heart failure come in and need intubation. Reminder to myself: look for the ICU MO later so he can teach me how to wear the space suit!

There're also rumours that our postings will all be extended. Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrghghghghgh! Sorry. internal med is a fun posting, but 6 months is more than enough. Anyway, I miss emergency medicine, and need to get down to the ER so I can practise for my upcoming Part 2 exams in August. Help!

Finally, PM Goh Chok Tong called for Singaporeans to be socially responsible in today's edition of Streats. And my reprimanding letter was not printed when I sent it to The Straits Times more than a week ago. Anyway, I see a small improvement so far. Fewer people in the streets, though parents still take their kids out -- what gives? Can't anyone stay at home anymore? But one major peeve is how the public is treating healthcare personnel -- when faced with nurses, bus-drivers refuse to stop, taxis zoom right past them, and public transport passssengers move to the other side of the vehicle. Doctors don't face such stigmatism 'cos we don't wear uniforms or stethoscopes outside the hospitals. But c'mon, think about what the nurses are doing -- risking their lives everyday for YOUR sorry sakes. Is this the thanks they get for the incredible courage they display? I'm so fed up right now.

No comments: