Thursday, April 24, 2003

Thought I'd share this with you. It's an email which a friend from another hospital sent to me.

"Am doing an MICU call. It is very tedious. Gown up, wear gloves, take off gloves, wash hands, take off gown and wash hands. The goggles are killing me (though they are reputed to be expensive ski goggles)...The masks are getting more and more ill-fitting.

I tell you some of us are really worried. More and more people here are hit. I feel especially sorry for Alex Chao. It is such an irony. He was not with the surgical team that was exposed and subsequently quarantined. Hence, he didn't have to go to TTSH. During that time, he gladly answered blue letters for the General Surgery department. He did an op for one of the patients in MICU, and even helped transfer patients to TTSH during the big move from wards 57/58. I just feel very vulnerable right now, but what to do. I dread the day when I take my temperature and it is high ( after the horrible scare 2 weeks back ).

Morale is low. Everyday is more tentative than the last and we are shuffled round like cattle ( ie. change wards every few days). Calls can change at the last minute as well.

I just hope everything is back to normal soon. I wish that on days when you expect to see 30 patients during the round, your team doesn't change suddenly, no ID measures are needed, and we can go to the houseman canteen at will. Sure beats getting bad news everyday."


My neighbour's kid has a fever, and she's still going to kindergarten and probably running around town as well, with her parents' blessings. Just the other day, after they returned home, I heard the child asking her mother whether she can take a bath, and her mom said, "No, you have a fever." Wonder how she got past all the temperature-monitoring at school.

As for more neighbourhood news, the food centre and medical hall that the wholesaler reportedly visited during his many doctor-hopping sessions are now closed, with employees under home quarantine. I live within walking distance of these places, so it's a little unnerving when you realize that I could've perhaps stood next to him or walked past him without even knowing it, since I eat and shop there quite often. Which just reinforces my opinion that Singaporeans really need to be more considerate about their personal actions, especially when they're aware of being previously exposed to SARS cases/contacts. Uncontrolled community spread is a real and potential danger.

No comments: