Wednesday, May 14, 2003

As the title of one of Clay's previous chosen songs says, "I Can't Help Myself"!

Spoilers ahead if you live outside the U.S. Proceed with caution.

Clay fans, here's a huge treat for you -- the latest video clips of his performances are up, click here for a look.

He started off with Vincent ( Starry, Starry Night ), by Don McLean, which I thought was pretty good, but which the judges unanimously dissed, 'cos they found it "dreary", and ack! Clay forgot some of the lyrics ( nervous, I'm sure ). For me, this song forever belongs to Josh Groban, whose cover version is the best so far. Still, Clay's wonderful voice shone through.

Next, he redeemed himself well with Mack The Knife, a fast jazzy number that's been done by all the great old-timers, plus more recently, Robbie Williams. Clay nailed this one right on the head, and had "superstar" written all over him during the number. The judges loved it too, with Simon Cowell telling him that he "just pulled it out of the hat" and that it was "brilliant" and "amazing". Woohoo!

Last, he gave the performance of his life with Unchained Melody. I already suspected he'd sing this, 'cos in one of his early interviews, he mentioned this as his favourite song. My opinion? I'll say this only once, with a red face, haha :) : I have such a big crush on Clay Aiken right now! Okay, got it out of my system. ;)

Results will probably be out late tomorrow afternoon. I'm post-call, so I may log on to find out before the show starts. Wish I could contribute to the voting process, but the phone bills would bankrupt me, so...

Many congratulations for your terrific performances, Clay! I'm sure you'll get through to the final 2!

P.S. Here's a nice article from The Charlotte Observer, about Clay and his pals Ruben and Kimberly. They may not show that much mutual affection on-screen, but in real life, theirs is a friendship that is likely to last a lifetime.

No comments: