Saturday, August 02, 2003

Grim News

Reports in the local papers today have various authorities from both Singapore and abroad projecting the next SARS epidemic occurring as soon as 2 months from now. ( It was initially predicted for November / December. )

Reasons given run the gamut from dormant viruses flaring up again, maybe even in mutated ( ie. more virulent ) forms, as well as the usual end-of-year peak in the number of travellers. Hotspots like China, Hong Kong and yes, Singapore, will no doubt be watched very closely, though I'm certain everyone hopes to have a quiet X'mas ahead.

Infection control measures in most hospitals here have been scaled down, but protective equipment remains compulsory in high-risk areas like the ER, where I'm currently based. Just the other day, I saw an elderly gentleman who presented with features of pneumonia, plus a normal white cell count, and was admitted to the fever ward. However, I got a rude shock later when I was informed that the patient was warded at SARS central 3 months ago, for you guessed it, SARS. Considering the fact that all patients are screened at the ER entrance, then further questioned by the doctors who see them, I don't know how this man managed to "forget" to tell us he had SARS. ( Okay, he was in his 70s and a little senile, but his son was very lucid, and still didn't give me this important piece of information! ). Worse, microbiologists have mentioned the possibility that patients who "recovered" from SARS may get the infection again ( sort of like tuberculosis, which can "reactivate" itself given the right conditions ). I'm not too sure what's become of this patient, but bearing this in mind, I'm going to be blunt from now on, and just ask straight off, "Have you had SARS before?". ( P.S. Singaporeans are very unreliable historians. Sigh. )

The Bachelorette

Ah, the show that made me believe true love exists. :) It was a most touching finale to an enjoyable series, and Trista showed good judgement when she said Charlie wasn't in love with her while Ryan was. I can't believe how she managed to pick the latter out from 24 other attention-seeking alpha males, since Ryan is probably the most introverted one, and not the sort to force himself on her the way Russ did.
Anyway, I hear the next Bachelor series will feature Bob, the baby-faced funny guy who didn't make Trista's cut, but won hearts all over America. I read somewhere that it was supposed to be the heir to some tyre company fortune ( he's hunky too ), but hey, I'm happy to watch Bob anyday! Just wonder who they'll pick for the next Bachelorette? Someone who got jilted by Aaron Buerge perhaps? I think Gwen ( the Jennie Garth lookalike ) would be a good choice, although if you want to have some real fun, Christy the clingy basket-case would be a hoot. :D

Is it just me, or is there absolutely nothing worth watching in the cinemas nowadays? Finding Nemo was so good, I haven't been able to see any shows after it, 'cos they can't seem to measure up. FYI, Nemo has beaten The Lion King as the all-time highest grossing animated feature film ever. A great achievement, and well-deserved!

No comments: