Thursday, August 14, 2003

Post Wednesday night shift. It was a really good one too, except for one case who showed up in the consultation area at 6am today. She was a 35-year-old lady who'd undergone a tonsillectomy 10 days ago, and coughed up a bowl of fresh blood upon waking up this morning. She was otherwise stable, though a little pale. Her throat was full of blood clots, so I sent her to a nurse to do some gargling so I could see better. When she returned, I gently pushed her tongue down with a spatula, after which she suddenly gagged. As a reflex, I moved away from her immediately, which was fortunate, 'cos she projectile-coughed/vomitted a whole fountain of blood, which hit the floor and splattered in all directions. I grabbed a vomit bag and placed it under her mouth while another stream dribbled out, but I had to leave her to call for the nurse outside, and in those few seconds, she vomitted another few cups of blood onto the ground, and became unresponsive.
Thank goodness she was already in a wheelchair, or it would've cost us additional precious time to transfer her to a trolley -- she was a rather large lady. Her blood pressure plunged to a systolic of 70, as my fellow MO in the resus area helped me set IVs on her, running 2 pints fast simultaneously. She later came to, and the ENT MO came down to help. Amazingly, I escaped from this episode with my white gown spotless. How the heck did THAT happen?

Anyway, I'll lay off serious topics for today. Here's a link to an article on Clay Aiken's highly anticipated album, due for release on October 14th. Enjoy. :)

No comments: