Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Okay, the first thing I did when I got home -- screw the fatigue! -- was hook up my laptop and download the mp3s for Clay Aiken's due to be released CD. Granted, only slightly more than 2 minutes of music is available for each song, but it's enough for a review. :)

No More Sad Songs -- Many fans mentioned that it sounds Elton John-ish, and I have to agree. The piano chords are similar to John's distinctive style, and Clay belts his heart out on this one. Has a country rock feel to it as well. Grows on you.

Run To Me -- Power ballad!!! It's always a pleasure to hear Clay singing love songs, but this one's a lot more personal than those he made famous on American Idol. Hearing him hit those high, high notes makes me shake my head in AWE. Yet he's able to soften his tone for the low, introspective verses. A sure winner!

I Will Survive You -- A little bit of pop infused with some rock, but with a twist. This is a breakup song, something I can definitely identify with :D Listen to the lyrics. Anyone who's ever had his or her heart broken will find them very meaningful. "I survived the crash / survived the burn... survived the lies / survived the truth...when you wrote me off like I was doomed / I survived you." Wow.

I Will Carry You -- Interesting sound. A little digital synth, then evolves into pop rock (again). The rather serious melody surprised me, considering the uplifting / romantic title attached to this song. Another piece that grows on you, but may not be a favourite for radio airplay.

Invisible -- I've left the best till last. :) Clay has been making women all over America swoon with his live rendition of this very catchy song, originally done by a UK boy band called D-side. Who knows why the album's producers picked it, but they're geniuses! It suits Clay to a T, letting him show off his vocal range but exhibit some hip rhythm as well. I've heard the concert version, which is a lot better, maybe because the bass is more powerful. But then, there was a lot of screaming in that recording, and add that to some video clips I caught of Clay's shirt-pulling / knee-bending / winking and what else ( let me wipe some drool off the table here ;) ), this song has #1 written all over it. ( By the way, he sings live better than in the studio. )

I let my mom ( also a huge fan ) listen to these, and her exact words were "Clay is going to be rich beyond his wildest dreams"! ( She LOVED Invisible :) )

Everybody say it with me now -- PLATINUM. :D

No comments: