Tuesday, August 12, 2003

The step-wise tailing down of SARS isolation guidelines continues. As of next Monday, the 21-day rule for hospital admissions, as well as the zoning criteria for nursing homes all over the island, will be abolished.
Those are the only changes directly affecting the ERs, I think. Protective equipment is still status quo, though screening questionnaires are more succinct now -- can't imagine how many trees we killed during the peak of the epidemic.
The general population has gotten over its fear of hospitals too, as evidenced by jam-packed waiting areas and fully occupied wards. Patients with simple backaches and common colds have begun to clog up the system yet again. Why some people would pay $65 for something that may cost only $20 or even less is beyond me.

Update for Clay Aiken fans

Samples from his upcoming, highly anticipated debut album are available here. I haven't heard them yet, but the bboards are going to crash soon. :D

Alias has officially hit an all-time high in my book. After a particularly gruelling afternoon shift last night, I probably broke a few speed limits on the way home, and made it just in time to catch yet another sterling episode. Sidney and Michael ( if you don't know what I'm talking about, it's a real pity! ) have finally consummated their relationship, while Arvind Sloane's newly formed terrorist group (?name) burst onto the scene with a big bang by blowing up a CIA operative in the middle of a busy Berlin street. Ethan Hawke ( Uma Thurman's very handsome hubby ) made a totally unexpected appearance as a CIA agent whose real identity is a point of contention. This excellent episode had me at the edge of my seat. Little wonder I started my morning shift bleary-eyed today. :P

One of the registrars in my department cut short her trip to Bali after the Jakarta bombings last week. I recall receiving the news only after finishing a night shift, and was shocked beyond belief. Bali itself was frightening enough, but hitting Indonesia a second time left me dumbfounded, considering the fact that it's a Muslim country to begin with. The registrar in question arrived in Bali the same day the attack occurred, and had to fly back the very next morning, due to family anxiety. I had the opportunity to visit Bali 2 years ago, before any of these tragic events occurred. It really is a very beautiful island, populated by very gentle and peaceful people. After attempting to recover from the drastic drop in tourist numbers last year, this latest terrorist act will no doubt plunge them into yet another economic crisis.
Interestingly, some political analysts have put Singapore on a list of high-risk targets. After kicking SARS in the butt, we've now got this to contend with. Living here is getting pretty exciting -- optimistic view, that is. :)

Leaving You With This

One of the funniest articles I've read in a long time :D :D :D ( And I take back what I said about Singaporean drivers being horrible. )

-- thanks to Dave Barry's blog

No comments: