Saturday, April 09, 2005

Penguin Parade

Somewhere within the depths of Singapore's largest hospital is a computer bearing a cleverly altered picture from the upcoming cartoon, Madagascar.

Very well-done, I must say. :)

Four nights ago, I dined with the culprits - sorry, I mean GENIUSES :D - at Brewerkz. Joining us were 3 others, all originating from a surgical department I recently worked in for a short spell.

Although I was the sole ( and I quote ) "flower" among the group of thorns, it was a great night out, filled with tasty food, lots of laughter, and much-needed catching up. More than half the guys are married - three with young offspring - while the rest are in long-term relationships.

The reason I bring this up is because, in spite of good reasons for dispersing early, EVERYONE stayed past 10pm, adjourning to another part of town for dessert, even contemplating a trip to a video arcade at one point.

I may not have looked it, but I REALLY wanted to go to the latter. Maybe blast a few spaceships, enter the Datona rally, or shoot my way through The Lost World and House Of The Living Dead. Perhaps next time then. :)

Thanks, dudes, for a very nice time. Keep in touch!

Just My Imagination?

I'm a bit dense where flirtations are concerned.

Partly because I've become extremely suspicious after being badly burnt.

Partly because I'm pathetically inexperienced where the intricate workings of male-female mating dances are concerned.

But yesterday, I think I caught the whiff of a possible "line".

It came during a case discussion in the ER. A few specialties were called upon to help manage the patient, and I presented the history to X.

If I'm wrong, then I do apologize. But I've noticed X before on many occasions, and get the impression that the opposite is also true.

As I spoke, he had a very, erm, interesting look on his face. Halfway between mirth and forced seriousness. The kind of look I give a guy when I'm affected by his mere presence. The kind of looks I've received on a few prior occasions, but which never progressed any further ( apparently because I "don't encourage them enough" - right, so it's MY fault, is it?! ).

X-rays and a CT were ordered. Shortly after, we spoke again about a list of criteria, the details of which were a little hazy. I expressed contrition for making a mistake, and he replied with a joking remark about not minding because it gave him the opportunity to come down and see me.

Opinions, anyone?

I know next to nothing about X. Hopefully, that exchange wasn't inappropriate ( I'm single, but what about him? ). If it was, then tsk tsk. If not, then err, thanks for the compliment? :)

The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom

Picked this up at a Popular Bookshop sale. A real page-turner, and highly recommended for both Christians and non-Christians. A proper review to follow soon.

CD Reviews

At last! My first day off in 2 weeks has allowed for some recovery ( in addition to terrific ER shifts post-VRE scare, heh heh ).

The Ultimate Hall & Oates Collection

This $13.90 double-disc compilation from China has fabulous sound quality, and features close to 40 of their greatest hits, ranging from bluesy soul on the first CD, to their best works on the second.

This duo is unbelievably versatile, swinging smoothly from '80s retro ( Method Of Modern Love, Downtown Life, Possession Obsession ) to rock ballads ( So Close ) to pop ( Out Of Touch ) and mushy love songs ( If A Promise Ain't Enough ).

Now if only they'd come back here for another concert.

Classics In The Key Of G

The predecessor to Kenny G's latest Duets album, this is a beautiful disc featuring greats like Summertime, The Look Of Love, Desafinado, What A Wonderful World, The Girl From Ipanema, Stranger On The Shore, and Over The Rainbow.

Most versions are over 5 minutes long, but very well-arranged. My personal favourite - his breath-taking collaboration with sweet-voiced Bebel Gilberto on The Girl From Ipanema.

Don't stop your CD player immediately after the last song though. I discovered a bonus track right at the end. What a treat. :)

At Last...The Duets Album

I heard one of the songs - I Like The Way You Move, done with Earth, Wind And Fire - on Class 95's morning show the other day, so this disc must be making a few waves eh?

From LeeAnn Rimes belting Everything I Do ( I Do It For You ), to Brian McKnight crooning Careless Whisper, and Daryl Hall's sexy cover of Baby Come To Me, the vocal offerings are top-notch.

The purely instrumental ones, however, are even better.

David Benoit's relaxing piano accompaniment on a lovely rendition of Norah Jones' Don't Know Why is my favourite, while Arturo Sandoval's joyful trumpeting on At Last blends seamlessly with Kenny G's gruff saxophone.

At the rate I'm buying CDs, I'm going to run out of storage space very very soon. :D

American Idol 4 - The Final 8

Scott Savol is safe - again!?!?

No comment. Sigh.

My list of the top 4 this week:

Constantine - He's now officially my pick to win this competition. This year is the white guy's turn, 'cos if you notice, we've already had winners from the white-girl, black-girl and black-guy categories. He did My Funny Valentine in a slow jazz simmer, and almost drove Paula Abdul out of her mind. This guy has "star" written all over him.

Bo - He never fails to rise to the occasion, this time doing a lively version of Corner Of The Sky. He hasn't wowed me yet, though.

Anthony - I don't care what the judges say. He has a wonderful voice, and sang Climb Every Mountain very well.

Nikko - His elimination from the group is tragic, because he's definitely better than Scott ( where are his fans coming from??? ). His choice of song - One Hand, One Heart from West Side Story - may have been less than inspired ( Josh Groban did a much nicer cover ), but the memory of him blowing all our minds with Sisqo's Incomplete remains vivid, and I'm very sad to see him go.

I still don't like the gals. Can you tell? ;)

Gonna veg out for the rest of the day. Next off's in 10 days' time. Argh.

No comments: