Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Year So Far

... is exhausting.

I'm so tired, and I haven't been sleeping well ( not sure why ), and the shifts are bad - as usual.

Had to tell off another MO the other day - from another department - who gave some lousy excuse about not inking up discharge documents and expecting us to do it for him. He answered back in a challenging tone, but my 3 seconds of complete silence made him realize he'd pushed the wrong button, after which he stammered on about how busy he was, etc. I stood my ground, however. I was in no mood for any of this nonsense, especially since other MOs from his department have never given us this kind of crap before.

Anyway, on to more light-hearted topics.

The Twilight series - I've finally completed it, and am rather miffed by the anti-climactic ending for Breaking Dawn, especially after such a good build-up. I don't think I'll read any more Stephenie Meyer novels in the future, but I have no objections to watching the film adaptations. Too much backlog of books in my cupboards - have moved on to Atul Gawande's Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance. It's terrific - and my thanks to a friend who helped get the author's autograph for me!

Holes - Bought this Shia LaBeouf DVD from Amazon, and really enjoyed it. It's based on a famous children's novel, with quite a number of warped plotlines, but the cast is top-notch ( Jon Voight and Sigourney Weaver among them ), and LaBeouf is, as always, flawless.
I also have another one of his flicks, A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints, in addition to a whole stack of rare John Cusack films ( War Inc, Max, Bullets Over Broadway, to name a few ), but will go through those slowly over the next few months.
I'll get to your movies first, L. :)

Russell Watson's latest album, People Get Ready is another great collection of covers, this time exploring the soul and blues genre, with a couple of uplifting gospel numbers ( People Get Ready and Heaven Help Us All ). Like his previous jazz CD, That's Life, this follow-up needs a number of listens before you're able to appreciate it fully. My favourite is his rendition of House Of The Rising Sun - very moody and powerful, a perfect closing track.

Am just wondering how to redeem a pair of movie vouchers before they expire at the end of the month. Had to pass on The Duchess 'cos it was screening in some tiny theatre at odd times. Hmm, maybe The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button or Slumdog Millionnaire?

A silver lining in my current gloomy situation - nocturnal workouts with my cat who, according to my mom, goes completely berserk whenever I come home at night. He literally bounces off the walls and can't get enough of playing tag with me. Maybe that's why I have insomnia, heh.

No comments: