Tuesday, February 25, 2003

Did you catch John Mayer on this year's Grammy Awards? He totally blew me away! I've got his album, Room For Squares, and let me tell you, it's astounding. He writes most of the songs, and once again, the sheer maturity of the pieces and his interpretation of them is amazing. I especially like "Neon" and "83", which features his unbelievable guitar skills. He sounds like he's been doing this for at least 20 years, and the way his fingers fly across the guitar strings is pure heaven. Here is a young man whose career will endure for many, many, many years to come.
(p.s. I know I posted earlier that he's 16 years old -- and he did say that when he accepted the Grammy after all! -- but his website says he was born in 1977, which makes him 25 or 26 at the moment. Okay, so he's not a child prodigy, but he's still pretty fantastic. :))

Was bitten by the flu bug, so did some major vegetating in front of the telly.
Last night's Fear Factor was especially exciting. Not only did they have 3 pairs of twins for contestants, they made them eat century eggs, aka 100-year-old eggs in American-speak, which are actually Asian delicacies and very tasty, but which the poor Americans kept gagging on. Bet they believed the eggs were really 100 years old! It was hilarious, but I also felt really sorry for them, the poor ignorant fools. :)

My opinion after watching Living With Michael Jackson is a sympathetic one. Martin Bashir is a shark, a vulture, a hyena -- or at the other end of the spectrum, a cockroach, a rat, a maggot. His animosity towards MJ is a total no-no in the realm of journalism -- well, that's my view anyhow -- and his biased interviews make cruel fun of a man whose life has been a rollercoaster from a tender age, and who continues to struggle with his inner demons as the paparazzi belittles and ridicules him. Is it any wonder that he turns to children for comfort? And that children gravitate towards him as well? Perhaps kids are the only ones capable of seeing him for who he truly is -- a vulnerable, helpless spirit in need of love and understanding -- understanding that only those with pure hearts can provide. I once wrote to the American Top 40 radio show back in 1993, stating my support for MJ, and miraculously, then-AT40 DJ Shadoe Stevens read my letter on his show, and I later received word from MJ's Heal The World Foundation director, who conveyed Jackson's thanks. Over the years, with the media circus surrounding the paedophilic allegations, I started to have doubts as well ( I was only 18 at the time after all ), but now, 10 years later, I know I did the right thing. I think everyone should just leave MJ alone, for pete's sake, and let him get on with the rest of his life in peace. And Bashir, I hope no-one else ever makes the mistake of granting you an interview. You are to journalism what Osama Bin Laden is to the Muslim religion.

On a lighter note, Monk is a fantastic show! Its airs every Friday night on Channel i at 8pm, so catch it ASAP so you don't miss any more episodes. Great script, awesome acting, and lovely comic timing. Great stuff. Watch it to find out what I'm raving about.

Before I sign off, here're a few brief reviews of shows I recently rented.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding -- totally over-rated, like Bend It Like Beckham. Starts out funny, but the ending's too perfect. Didn't realize Greeks are so similar to Italians.

Sweet Home Alabama -- liked this more than MBFGW, can you imagine? Reese Witherspoon is always a joy to watch, but get a load of Josh Lucas, who's a cross between Matthew McConaughey and Paul Newman. Those baby blues of his and that southern drawl are sure to turn your legs to jelly. :)

One Hour Photo -- good effort from an unknown writer-director, starring Robin Williams, Connie Nielsen ( from "Gladiator" ) and Michael Vartan ( FBI agent Vaughn in "Alias" ). Lots of suspense, with taut performances from the leads.

Possession -- my favourite of the lot so far. Gwyneth Paltrow and Aaron Eckhart ( the biker cum nanny in "Erin Brockovich" ) sizzle, and the film captivates despite its high-brow premise ( 2 literary scholars trying to prove an illicit affair between 2 famous 19th century poets ). Paltrow is extremely beautiful and fragile, and Eckhart is sexily likeable. The romance between the poets ( played by Jeremy Northam and Jennifer Ehle ) also makes for compelling viewing, reminiscent of "The English Patient", (which I absolutely love). Just make sure you're wide awake for this one, or you won't be able to appreciate it.

No comments: