Wednesday, June 16, 2004

In Continuation

Is it 3:40pm already?! Where does the time go? Oh yeah, I slept the whole morning, and just watched the Matrix Revolutions VCD. Okay... :)

So I've finished my reply to The Complaint. I haven't asked what happened in the SOC today ( their pre-scheduled TCU ), but will post something at a later date.

Au Revoir

... to a JC classmate who's flying off to the US tomorrow for a one-year training stint. We had a nice group dinner in his honour a couple of days ago ( he doesn't want to admit it, but hey, it's the truth :)) and as always, we all had a great time. Seems so much has happened this past decade, and we were wondering what 2005 holds, since we'll be turning the big three-O next year. *gasp! sob! choke!* But the most important thing, I realize, is being happy with the choices you've made, even if it's a slight detour from the original route you intended to take. And sure enough, I think every one of us is indeed content in that respect.

Have a safe trip, CS!


Life!'s Pretty Interesting Nowadays

[ The exclamation mark's intentional, ahem. :) ]

Shzr Ee's spot-on commentary in yesterday's edition of Life! was a wake-up call, if anyone's even listening. It isn't my imagination after all -- young people today are getting increasingly obnoxious, disrespectful and spoilt. At least 10 other dinner companions agreed on this on Monday ( a mixed bunch of individuals from the medical, engineering and law professions ). One magistrate said, "When I was a kid, I didn't even dare to answer back!" And back in primary and secondary school -- even college -- all it took was a 3-second stare from a teacher and we'd be instantly subdued. Even now, in the course of our work, we try our best to be responsible and take our jobs seriously, working hard when the situation calls for it, and making a conscious effort to avoid selling out at all costs.

Will our future generations be able to do the same? From the looks of it -- no. Many Gen X-ers ( my batch ) already lead frivolous lives -- refer to a recent Straits Times feature on yuppies who blow tens of thousands of dollars on football bets without even blinking -- and I frequently have unpleasant experiences with the service sectors, which are becoming increasingly populated by disgruntled, lazy 20-something employees out to make a quick buck without actually contributing anything to society. Charity work? Donating part of my "hard-earned" money to the less fortunate? What planet do you think I'm from?

Of course, there is a minority who sustains our hopes for this millenium. Youngsters who haven't yet lost sight of the bigger picture, who use their vacation time to volunteer, or to actively harness all their creative powers instead of just sitting back and waiting for a handout. Who actually care about the world around them, instead of taking it for granted.

At the rate we're going, Singapore is currently poised at the edge of a precipice. I shudder to think of the outcome should it tip over in the wrong direction.

All right then, enough of the heavy stuff. :)


Alias Is Back!

I almost missed the 3rd season, but caught it just in time when I was surfing channels at 1am Tuesday morning ( insomnia, ugh ). Lots of delicious plot twists yet again -- Sidney Bristow's inexplicable 2-year-long disappearance and concomitant amnesia, a new enemy in the form of The Covenant, and lots of tension between Sidney, ex-love Michael Vaughn and his new wife. Jennifer Garner looks unbelievable, and the cinematography ( can I still call it that if it's a TV show? ) is awesome. I hope they'll make an Alias full-length movie at some point, 'cos the script rocks, the action sequences kick ass, and the actors would translate terrifically onto the big screen. Hint hint!


VCD/DVD Reviews Part ?

Yeah, I've been renting a lot of them lately. :P

Matrix Revolutions

Man, this SUCKS!!! Don't get me wrong, I loved The Matrix, but its sequel left me a little cold, and all I can say is: (1) thank goodness I didn't watch this in the cinema ( 'cos I would've walked out for sure ) and (2) I just adore fast-forward buttons, heh heh. Running time: 129 mins. Total viewing time at home on the DVD player: 60 mins, not counting the many occasions I looked out the window or got up to do something or other. While the first installment blew me away ( I've seen it at least 5 times to date ), Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions have failed to recapture any of the thrills and spills offered by Episode 1. The Oracle grates on my nerves, Morpheus has lost too much valuable screen time, and Neo is a mere shell of what he once was. And what's with all the whispering in Revolutions? This is war, people! A matter of life and death, survival vs annihilation! Do you WHISPER in such situations? Sheesh!

The only saving grace is Mr. Smith, played with fervent glee by Hugo Weaving ( Elrond aka Arwen's daddy in LOTR ). That maniacal grin and spitting speech pattern woke me up from a deep slumber immediately. Why oh why did he have to be destroyed in the end? I personally would've enjoyed seeing more of him -- how about a prequel? Hint hint again. :)

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

This one's just a little bit better. More action ( and more importantly, appropriate shouting matches ), and a storyline that makes lots more sense. Although... think they could've picked someone better to play the legendary John Connor ( Nick Stahl? What a wimp! ), and the need for a female villain is a total gimmick ( Kristanna Loken must've practised for hours in front of the mirror while perfecting that glare ). Would've preferred another evil male android anyday -- e.g. Hugh Jackman ( check out X-Men I & II ), Eric Bana ( The Hulk and Troy ), heck even Russell Crowe ( did you see him in Virtuosity? Brr. ).

I just hope the inevitable Terminator 4 won't deteriorate into another Matrix Revolutions-type disaster. Star Wars Episodes 1 & 2 are bad enough.


Runaway Jury

Excellent, this one. John Grisham may not be that great a writer ( I'm never fully satisfied after reading his novels ), but you've got to hand it to the guy: he has a fantastic eye for fascinating tales and print-to-screen adaptations. In my opinion, the films based on his books have far surpassed the published versions on every occasion, and my favourites thus far include The Rainmaker, and now, Runaway Jury. ( It helps a lot that John Cusack plays the immensely likeable lead, but I digress. :D )

With a taut screenplay, exceptional casting and focussed direction, this latest offering is hard not to enjoy. Intriguing premise, crackling courtroom drama, a David-vs-Goliath triumph ( very characteristic of Grisham tales ) -- I was hooked from beginning to end.

Cusack, always the consummate character actor, plays up his lovable personality here in his portrayal of the ambiguous Nicholas Easter. Casting him in this role, which demands both understated but undeniable charm, is pure genius. One of his best performances yet.

But the clincher, I feel, is a scene where just after the verdict, Dustin Hoffman spots Cusack outside the courthouse, and silently acknowledges him. Won't reveal vital plotlines here, but those few seconds are what this entire movie is all about -- standing up for what you believe in, and doing what's right even when everyone else is playing dirty ball. Yay for the underdogs!


Album Reviews

I'm almost done, I promise. :)

Jason Mraz's Waiting For My Rocket To Come

This CD deserves to be blasted on the car stereo, 'cos it sounds best that way for me. Lots of road-trip type pieces, with up-tempo guitar riffs, carried by Mraz's amazing vocals. His is a boyish yet pitch-perfect delivery of compositions that are quite tough to sing, with their meandering melodies and accelerated speeds ( give him an award for The Most Number of Words Crammed Into The Least Number of Musical Bars ). From the sound of it, some parts are written in demi-semi-quavers, but I love it 'cos he's blessed with flawless diction, so you can actually make out every single word. And the lyrics are... beautiful. My favourite has got to be The Remedy ( I Won't Worry ), a rollicking head-bobber that says "I say the tragedy is how you're gonna spend the rest of your nights with the light on/ So shine the light on all of your friends because it all amounts to nothing in the end/ I won't worry my life away" ( inspired by Mraz's good friend's fight with cancer ). Other noteworthy offerings include You And I Both, I'll Do Anything, Too Much Food, and The Boy's Gone.

But then, this could be an acquired taste, to be sure to sample it before buying. I don't want to get a scolding. :P

Jamie Cullum's Pointless Nostalgic

Released in 2002 ( a year before his hit 2nd album Twentysomething ), this has more covers than original songs, but again demonstrates his propensity / talent for innovative arrangements and interpretations of even the most conventional jazz pieces. Once again, he's helped me appreciate hard-core classics which I would otherwise reject, most notably Devil May Care and You And The Night And The Music. High And Dry and I Can't Get Started show off his sexy vocals to great effect, as does A Time For Love, now one of my all-time favs, together with Michael Buble's The Way You Look Tonight, Peter Cincotti's Sway and Robbie Williams' One More For The Road.

Perhaps the most personal composition of his to date, Pointless Nostalgic should appeal to anyone who's gone through a painful breakup. "Reminiscing my cares away / Wishing I could go back and change the points that were low / Til I realize that life's meant to be / Photographs lost in time are all I see / A pointless nostalgic - that's me"

Just caught him on MTV's Asia Hitlist this morning -- he's #5, wow! -- doing These Are The Days. Reminds me a lot of Robbie, which bodes well for any live performance. So be sure to catch him if he ever pops by, 'cos I definitely wouldn't miss it for the world.

Over and out. For now. ;)

No comments: