Friday, October 17, 2003

Here's the link to the online version of The Straits Times' feature on Clay in the Life! section this morning.

Not the best reflection of Clay and his fans, but I never expected their writers to appreciate "the bigger picture" -- that it isn't just about Clay's music, but about Clay the person as well; that his fans aren't a bunch of crazed fanatics who stalk the poor guy ( I know so many of them and they're all such wonderful people ). Oh well...

Here's my review of Measure Of A Man

Invisible -- This was the first single released off the album, and an instant crowd favourite when Clay debuted it on the American Idol concert tour. A cover of a song done by UK boy band D-side, this version outshines the original and showcases Clay's amazing vocal range and immense power. The production is top-notch, and with Clay doing his own backup, the overlapping effect is absolutely terrific. A surefire #1 hit!

I Will Carry You -- When this was "leaked" as a 2-minute sampler back in June/July, I admit it wasn't one of my favourites. However, it's really growing on me now that I'm listening to it on my headphones and in my car, instead of some grainy version on my laptop. It starts off with an almost melancholy tone but the chorus soars as the lyrics turn uplifting: "When your world breaks down / And the voices tell you "Turn around" / When your dreams give out / I will carry you, carry you". I predict a steady climb up the charts. :)

The Way -- I loved this song when I first heard it last week on an American radio station broadcast, and it has certainly stuck! Beautiful melody with a rather dreamy intro, and a very lovely, romantic feel. The second verse goes: "Something 'bout the way you stay on my mind / There's something 'bout the way I whisper your name when I'm asleep / Maybe it's the look you get in your eyes / Oh baby it's the way that makes me feel to see you smile". I never tire of it. :D

When You Say You Love Me -- Written by Darren Hayes ( from the now-defunct Savage Garden ), this is a pleasant and sweet pop piece, in the tradition of Hayes' well-known style in "Affirmation", "The Animal Song" and "I Knew I Loved You". It really suits Clay, and gives the album a nice, versatile feel -- like having great dessert after a sumptuous meal. :)

No More Sad Song -- The songwriter was reportedly very excited about the fact that "Song" is singular, not plural, so let me just highlight that as well. ;) Very Elton John-ish, infused with a bit of rock. Clay does a good interpretation, and his voice fits the overall mood very well.

Run To Me -- My favourite of the 5 "samplers" I heard a few months ago, and the full song is fantastic! "Soon as you get that feeling you can start to live again / Soon as the worst is over you can make it all make sense / Right now I can't give you what you need / Soon as you get that feeling / Run to me". Get a load of the bridge after the 2nd chorus refrain, which gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it. Clay's voice hits unbelievably tough notes, and manages to convey all the longing and pain contained within the gorgeous lyrics. I'm not going to print the words to that bit -- you're going to have to listen to it yourself in order to get the "full experience", which I guarantee is worth it! Another hit in the bag!

Shine -- Clearly an inspirational piece, with a pop/rock tempo. Upbeat and enjoyable. Will very likely grow on me. :)

I Survived You -- Like No More Sad Song, this one's also about getting over someone who's hurt you. If you've ever been through a breakup, you'll identify with both of them. I Survived You isn't easy to interprete, with lyrics in the form of long sentences compressed into the 4/4 tempo format. Another foray into the rock genre, and Clay shines. Good job!

This Is The Night -- Ah, Clay's signature piece. :) Featured on his CD single, together with Bridge Over Troubled Water, this is listed as a "bonus cut", but is of course greatly welcomed, as we relive his awesome performance on the American Idol finals. The lyrics "I've been waiting forever for this / This is the night" certainly describes his own life very accurately. I can still remember how he looked when he belted this out on AI, and subsequently on the AI tour. We're reliving it with you, Clay. We always will! :D

Perfect Day -- Brings back comparisons to Elton John yet again ( for me, anyway :P). Has that 80s rock style to it, but hey, Clay can sing anything, so yes, I like it!

Measure Of A Man -- Definitely my favourite track on the album. It brought tears to my eyes the first time I heard it ( it had its world premiere on Singapore radio, woohoo! ). Wonderful, moving lyrics, with an amazing musical arrangement, making it both introspective yet deeply inspiring. "Would he walk on water / Would he run through fire / Would he stand before you when it's down to the wire / Would he give his life up to be all he can / Is that, is that, is that how you measure a man?" Clay may have lung-bursting vocal power, but there's a bit in this song where his voice turns gentle, and the degree of control is unbelievable. This song is a masterpiece, but no-one except Clay can make this his own. No cover versions please!

Touch -- The icing on the cake! The album ends off with a very sensual love song, complete with pumping mid-tempo beats, tight guitar riffs, and some Latin pop infused for good measure. Imagine sun-drenched beaches, a breath-taking sunset, then put Clay in the middle of that. I need to sit down. :D


People may say this review is horribly biased, but considering the fact that I listen to everything from Josh Groban, Michael Buble, Sting, John Mayer and George Michael, to Phil Collins, Barbra Streisand, Norah Jones, Celine Dion and Robbie Williams, Clay (to me, anyhow) has one of the best voices I've ever heard, and never fails to surprise me with his versatility and awesome vocal prowess. The fact that he's a great individual as well definitely helps me enjoy his music even more. I just wish detractors would try to learn more about him instead of basing their views on his "dorky appearance", or making snide comments when they don't understand his appeal.

The next thing to look forward to will be Clay's many music videos! I've got a few ideas floating around:

Run To Me -- Definitely should include rain. E.g. Clay standing in a darkened room looking out the window as it pours outside.

Touch -- Clay dressed in something very stylish ( e.g. leather jacket, fire-red shirt open at the collar ) singing on the beach at sunset, maybe with a fiesta in the background. Just don't make the object of his affection too skimpily dressed. :P

Measure Of A Man -- This is sung in a third-person format, so the video might work with Clay telling the story of a separate couple, ie. about how a man loses everything he has and how the woman he loves stands by him through it all. This is the video I'm looking forward to the most, so I hope the producers don't spoil it!

Well, it's been wonderful to be able to put my thoughts down after a long wait for Clay's CD. I highly recommend it to everyone. It's a must for any collection, and I'm sure it will "Clayvert" many who aren't already fans. Enjoy! :)

No comments: