Sunday, October 05, 2003

Less than 10 days to go before Clay Aiken's album release. :) The anticipation mounts!

This is the best Clay interview I've ever read, from Billboard. Don't miss it!
Here's a Clay quote from that article that gives us Singaporean Clay fans hope (pertaining to the package we sent over, that is ):
"There are 17 boxes of fan mail at the house and when I go home, we go through it because we open every one of them."
No news yet on the parcel, but my friend in Raleigh is trying her best. Crossing my fingers. :D

And... here's the link to the upcoming Time magazine article! No photo, but hopefully there'll be one in the mag itself -- which I'm quite sure of. Make it a nice, big one! :)

Was hoping to write yesterday, but my shift in resus was extremely busy, though in a good way. Started the morning off with an exciting case of a guy who looked like he had intestinal obstruction, but ended up with a perforated viscus, probably from a stomach ulcer. Within the first couple of hours, we'd sent up 2 cases to intensive care, and I probably saw about 20 cases in total (considered bad if you're in resus), admitting about 90% of them despite my high threshold for inpatient treatment. I think it must've been a bad call for everyone upstairs. The consult area was overflowing as well. Sorry, guys.

Noticed that all the ward staff, including doctors, are now wearing scrubs. Aaargh! I never got to do this when I was in internal medicine, during the SARS outbreak! We had to wear masks, gloves, and these horrible gowns that were impermeable to everything ( including air, from what I could gather ). We were drenched in perspiration every single day, losing massive amounts of fluids and feeling light-headed after our ward rounds ( I was based in C class ). But I felt more sorry for my poor house officers, who had to wear long-sleeved shirts and ties. At least I could show up in sleeveless blouses and short skirts, though it didn't help that much in the end. Oh well, this is a good move on the hospital's part!

More from "The Purpose-Driven Life":

Chapter 3: What Drives Your Life?

This is a really good chapter, in my opinion, 'cos it hits the nail right on the head, and applies not only to my life before I became a Christian, but the lives of many people I know as well. Since I'd like you to read the book itself, I'll just post snippets of what Warren wrote.

Many people are driven by resentment / anger, fear, materialism or the need for approval. I guarantee all of us are guilty of this at least at one point in our lives.

Knowing your purpose gives meaning to your life, and simplifies, motivates and focuses it as well, preparing you for eternity.. "A pretentious and showy life is an empty life." ( Proverbs 13:7 )

Chapter 4: There is more to life than just here and now.

"When you realize that life is just preparation for eternity, you will begin to live differently. You will start living in light of eternity, and that will colour how you handle every relationship, task and circumstance. Suddenly many activities, goals, and even problems that seemed so important will appear trivial, petty and unworthy of your attention. The closer you live to God, the smaller everything else appears."
"When you live in light of eternity, your values change. You use your time and money more wisely. You place a higher premium on relationships and character instead of fame or wealth or achievements or even fun."


Chapter 5: Life is a test and a trust

This is another really good chapter.
"Your life metaphor influences your life more than you realize. For instance, if you think life is a party, your primary value in life will be having fun. If you see life as a race, you will value speed and will probably be in a hurry much of the time. If you view life as a marathon, you will value endurance. If you see life as a battle or a game, winning will be very important to you."
I tried thinking about my "life metaphor", but I think my blog has coloured my judgement, 'cos the only word that keeps popping into my head is "zoo". :P Well, my life is a zoo! Another good description would be "rollercoaster" or "adventure". It's just generally very unpredictable, but in a good way. The most important thing is that I've had a lot of guidance and protection spiritually, or it would've turned out very badly.

Life on earth is a test.

"This life metaphor is seen in stories throughout the Bible. Character is both developed and revealed by tests, and all of life is a test. A very important test is how you act when you can't feel God's presence in your life. Sometimes God intentionally draws back, and we don't sense his closeness.
When you understand that life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life. Even the smallest incident has significance for your character development. The good news is that God wants you to pass the tests of life, so he never allows the tests you face to be greater than the grace he gives you to handle them."


"God keeps his promise, and He will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the time you are put to the test, He will give you the strength to endure it, and so provide you with a way out."
-- 1 Corinthians 10:13

Life on earth is a trust.

"We are stewards of whatever God gives us." Something worth pondering. :)

Here's the poem I mentioned a few days ago, by Russell Kelfer, from Chapter 2 ( "You are not an accident." ):

You are who you are for a reason.
You're part of an intricate plan.
You're a precious and perfect unique design,
Called God's special woman or man.

You look like you look for a reason.
Our God made no mistake.
He knit you together within the womb,
You're just what he wanted to make.

The parents you had were the ones he chose,
And no matter how you may feel,
They were custom-designed with God's plan in mind,
And they bear the Master's seal.

No, that trauma you faced was not easy.
And God wept that it hurt you so;
But it was allowed to shape your heart
So that into his likeness you'd grow.

You are who you are for a reason,
You've been formed by the Master's rod.
You are who you are, beloved,
Because there is a God.


The post has become quite long, so I'll reserve my comments on my Sting and John Mayer CDs for another day. Thanks for reading. :)

No comments: