Monday, October 06, 2003

Monday afternoon shift, and looks like the rain helped us out a bit. Mondays always worry us, 'cos patients have a habit of "cooking" over the weekend, before causing an avalanche at the ER on the very first day of the working week. But we did get quite a few cases of hip fractures, perhaps due to the wet conditions?

My thanks to Fred Bronson, who wrote that terrific Billboard article on Clay, for replying to my email. I don't usually expect a response, because I assume journalists are very busy and get a lot of mail from readers, but he wrote back really quickly, and was very gracious and appreciative of my comments. He also emailed other fans, telling them he greatly enjoyed interviewing Clay. Really nice guy. :)

One of the local Claymates I had the privilege of meeting -- the same one who met Clay in person in New Jersey -- has set up a new fansite at www.clayaiken.com.sg. A visit there showed you need a login password, and she did tell us in an email that she'll be creating Internet accounts for us so we can use the site later on. No prizes for guessing my choice of username! I have a horrible memory when it comes to this sort of thing, so I have one universal username and password for everything. :D It's an exciting project, and we hope it'll help link all the Singaporean Clay fans into one common community.

Last night's episode of "ER" was excellent, as always, but all that angst and tragedy is making it really depressing. However, the cast makes it immensely enjoyable, and being a longtime follower of the show, I really feel for all the characters as they battle illness and other personal problems. The final scene for yesterday's installment had Dr. Mark Greene ( ie. the bald, bespectacled one ) lying down for an MRI brain. The camera then pans elsewhere, focussing on his personal effects on a nearby table -- his stethoscope, a small torch, keys, glasses. It lasted only 3 seconds tops, before the credits started rolling, but the message was clear: Doctors are human too. Stripped of our medical garb / equipment, we're vulnerable to everything. I suspect Dr. Greene will be killed off soon, 'cos the latest season ( from what I saw on the official website ) doesn't have Anthony Edwards on the cast anymore. Noah Wyle, aka Dr. John Carter, will become the "veteran" of the show, but I welcome that, 'cos Wyle has done very well in his role all these years, and is a fine actor in his own right. However, I wish Mediacorp would screen the show at a more sane hour! Anyone reading this?! :)

Not much to write about today. One more hour till I get off work. "Alias" is on tonight, woohoo!

No comments: