Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Educational Turmoil

Straits Times Article today

This has caused a ripple throughout the country, and is a story I'm following quite closely, as my mother ( now retired ) once worked with Mr. Ng at Nan Chiau High -- back when it was still at the River Valley campus. At the time, Nan Chiau was a combined primary-and-secondary-school entity, but has since split into two separate buildings following its move to Sengkang at the turn of this century. My mom served under him for a few years before being seconded to the primary levels just prior to retirement.

Her comments about Mr. Ng are good, as they worked very well together, and he is the sort who appreciates competent and capable teachers. He was never out of line, and only caned or hit male students. He was fully aware of the restrictions concerning female pupils, and adhered to them strictly.

He also once mentioned to my mom that throughout his earlier career as a teacher, he'd always worked towards becoming a principal. So when he finally got the post, he was extremely elated and grateful for the opportunity. Nan Chiau has gained an admirable reputation for itself these past few years. The head of the school has no doubt contributed to this in some respect.

I asked what could've pushed him over the edge, and my mother could only postulate that the student in question - though female - might have provoked him to the breaking point, thus causing this outburst. It is important to note that the girl's mother was spoken to, and in her own words, "understands" and "accepted his apology". The complainant in the matter is actually the god-sister of another female pupil, who happened to be in the principal's office when the incident occurred. Fishy, hmm...

It's sad that he felt a need to step down. Perhaps he made this decision on his own. Perhaps the Hokkien Huay Kuan reprimanded him. Perhaps the Ministry of Education contributed to the pressure ( it wasn't too supportive in its statements to the press ). In any case, as some people have commented, it's an abomination to penalize the principal and let the student off. A student who, FYI, has allegedly been disciplined up to 20 times previously, for truancy, being late for school, and flouting a whole lot of other rules.

The world is unfair. What's new eh.

Another related piece

This is why my mom told me NOT to be a teacher.

In other news...

Kevin Spacey's brother tells all

Heck, I'll still see his films no matter what. He's always been a fine actor. Always will be.
And I mean that as a compliment.

This is for you, Mr. Spacey! :)

From "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" -- my favourite novel so far, even though Clint Eastwood mauled the movie version.

Jim Williams ( played with aplomb by the great man himself ): I'm what they call "nouveau riche," but then, it's only the "riche" that counts.


10:30pm. Will be finishing at midnight. Ugh.
But I've only seen 20 cases so far, heh heh. :D

Before I sign off, here's one last thing.

Bored Slacker

The latest boiling-egg entry had me in stitches. :D

Sounds like a guy to me, but might be a girl, at least from the self-description just beneath the blog title.
Hey, thanks for thinking I'm witty. :)

No comments: