Monday, April 19, 2004

I had no idea how knee-deep I was till I actually TRIED to PRY myself away from the TV last night. There was nothing good on, yet I felt compelled to sit... and... stare. Hypnotized. By... whatever.

I'm kidding. Last night was spent packing, updating my other journal, and catching up with some reading. But I had you going for a moment, didn't I? :D

Something interesting in The Straits Times this morning:

NKF Controversy

Gold-plated taps? German toilet bowls? Tsk tsk.
I'm not an NKF donor. Never have been. My donations range from funding for church missions / other projects, to the SPCA, to the Autism Association Singapore, and assorted raffle tickets that come my way at work or on the street. If I had to pick a dialysis-related foundation, I'd choose the Kidney Dialysis Foundation over the NKF any day.

Not because of any impropriety on the latter's part -- I didn't know anything about their practices till complaints surfaced last week. But I do know that they've built up a huge support base over the years, and don't exactly NEED my help. $189 million in reserves leaves a lot of other smaller charities in the dust. Why not help those instead?

Although I do agree that gold-plated taps and German toilet bowls are a tad excessive, even if it IS the chief exec's office. Knowing whether it's Mr. Durai's choice, or that of the NKF committee's ( ie. as a special perk / reward ) would be enlightening though.

Then again, how about religious figures who flaunt their wealth? Buddhist monks driving ( or better still, BEING DRIVEN ) around in Lexuses or Mercedes Benz's. The Pope dripping in finery. Didn't Christ live a frugal and simple life, subsequently entering Jerusalem riding a donkey? Ok, I digress. :)

Work is work. A bit dull at the moment. Will keep this short and post another movie quote.

From Finding Nemo [ the scene where all the fishes in the dentist's office are observing him as he works on a patient ]:

[the Tank Gang is watching the dentist]
Deb: What have we got?
Peach: Root canal, and by the looks of those X-rays, it's not going to be pretty.
Bloat: Dam and clamper installed?
Peach: Yep.
[Dentist drills and patient screams]
Peach: Now he's using the Schilder technique.
Bloat: He's been favoring that one lately. He's using a Hedstrom file.
Gurgle: That's not a Hedstrom file, that's a K-flex.
Bloat: It has a teardrop cross section, clearly it's a HEDSTROM.
Gurgle: No, it's a K-FLEX.
Bloat: HEDSTROM.
Gurgle: K-FLEX.
Bloat: HEDSTROM.
[inflates]
Bloat: Oomph. There I go. I'll be over here.
Deb: [sighs] I'll go deflate him.

No comments: