Sunday, April 18, 2004

Sunday morning in resus. Just me and another registrar in here, waiting for the storm to break. Talk about a sense of foreboding... :)

Yesterday was spent sleeping. And I'm still exhausted. My mom keeps asking if I should go for a blood test. Sure, if there's a serology marker for chronic fatigue syndrome ( and I don't mean of the EBV variety ). Sometimes, I can actually feel my cells aging. One by one. Not pleasant.

And FYI, I read somewhere that turtles never die of old age. Disease, injury -- yes. Senescence -- nope. Something about their cells being able to live forever. Fountain of youth formula right there. ( Don't eat them, for pete's sake! Genetic analysis would make more sense. ) But honestly speaking, spending an eternity on Earth isn't something I find appealing.

Gonna start something new here. Will include quotes from various films, thanks to IMDB's fantastic movie quotes site.

Here's today's selection, from my favourite movie of all time, "Dead Poets Society":

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life? Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse."

That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"


-- John Keating ( literature / English teacher played to perfection by Robin Williams ). [ You really must see the film in order to fully appreciate these lines. Williams deserved an Oscar but sadly didn't win it that year. ]

My thanks to JC, for lugging a bagful of Clay Aiken paraphernalia from LA back home. Key chain, button, T-shirt, tour programme and gigantic poster. I love them all! :D

Last but not least, a fond farewell to Candlewick's Blog. Stay in touch through email, won't you. :)

Have a good Sunday.

No comments: